Wednesday, August 10, 2011

What's that?

I swear I have asked "where's this or do you carry this or what is that?" more times than I care to remember in the last few months. But I am slowly learning how to cook with healthier items and smarter choices. I am also learning how to distinguish these healthier options and not just take the "health food stores" word for it. Because even items carried in a health food store can sometimes not be so great.
I am loving a few blog sites I have found lately and am hoping to try out a few new recipes and a few new items each week.
These are the sites I love the most right now:

Mark's Daily Apple
Elanas Pantry- Healthy Gluten Free Recipes
Comfy Belly (so far I have use the most from this one)
My New Roots
The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen

And these are the newest food items I have been trying to cook with lately:
Honey, Agave, Maple Syrup and Dates as natural sweeteners
Coconut and Almond flower for baking
Guar gum as a natural thickening agent
Almond Butter instead of peanut butter
Goat cheese instead of cheddar, etc.

And these are on my list to try:
Coconut oil, grapeseed oil and ghee instead of olive oil for cooking and instead of shortening or butter for baking
flax seeds, hemp seeds and quinoa flakes (I have used regular quinoa and really liked it)
Coconut palm sugar

New recipes I have made this week so far:

Gluten-free strawberry cupcakes
Sweet Potato Fries
Spinach, Bacon and Tomato Salad (I sadly had no Parmesan but I really want to try making these croutons soon.)
I also made what I am calling a healthy grilled cheese...never thought I would see the day when grilled cheese would be healthy.
I used sprouted grain bread which I still love. I don't miss "regular" bread at all. I also used raw cheddar style goat cheese, avocado, tomatoes, and cilantro. It turned out super yummy and satisfied my craving for a grilled cheese.
Watermelon Sorbet
Avocado Fudgesicles -This was the only recipe that turned out badly. I forgot to de-pit the dates before I put them in my blender and I used too much cocoa for my taste. Maybe next time I can perfect it.

Here are some recipes I want to try soon:
Balsamic roasted chicken with figs
Quinoa- salmon burgers
Asparagus Basil salad
"Potato" salad with cauliflower
Parsley Pesto with sun dried tomatoes
Banana Cream Pie Cupcakes
Key-lime Icing
Turkey Bean Chili
Homemade Mayo
Strawberry Sorbet
Zucchini Chocolate Chip Mini-muffins
Blueberry Muffins
Gluten-free Silver Dollar Pancakes
Salt and Vinegar Kale Chips
Creamy Macadamia Shrimp
Raw cashew dreamcake
Raw Brownie

And breathe! That is a lot of recipes to try. But I figure I have a while since this is my new way of life. Something to look forward to right?

No comments:

Post a Comment