Monday, June 13, 2011

Watermelon Juice

I started Afton on rice cereal like you would usually do. But after a week or so of that her poor stomach just wasn't agreeing. She was having a hard time going to the bathroom and that's just sad. So I did a little research and got some tips from the same woman, Natalia Rose, that I am getting my diet from. She has some tips about how to feed your babies from 6-18 months and also a free e-book called Life Force Energy Children that gives great recipe ideas once your children start eating table food. I LOVED it. The ideas fit me and Afton perfectly. I'm sure it isn't for everyone and every baby but it is really working for us.
She suggested that if rice cereal is constipating your baby, stick with the easiest foods to digest first, melons and fruit.
So I pureed a little watermelon and put it in a bottle and let her go to town. She loved it to say the least. I had let her suck on a big piece of watermelon before but this was great because she could do it herself more or less. After a few days of this her constipation was gone and she was going to the bathroom again regularly. Relief.


I have moved through most of the fruits now as Natalia also suggests. I plan on moving on to veggies in the next few weeks.
I also let her try an avocado tonight. She liked the first few bites and then decided she didn't want anymore. So maybe in a few more weeks I'll try that again.
What I love most about Natalia's views on starting babies on solid foods is that she doesn't stress me out.
It's all about seeing what your baby likes. Letting your baby decide how much to eat. Etc.
So far I love feeding Afton healthy fruits I make on my own.
I'm pretty proud that I haven't had to buy a single jar of baby food yet. I am sure once we move up to feeding her three times a day with solid food that might change but I am still going to try to do most of it on my own.
But for now Afton is enjoying:
Watermelon juice
Pureed Cantelope
Pureed Peaches
Pureed Pears
Applesauce

She has also tried Carrots and loves those.
I am really enjoying this non-stress way of feeding Afton. I feel like parenting should really be as little stress as possible and more trial and error and fun.
If it doesn't work try something different but don't stress!
I also love the baby-shake idea and will try that out soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment