Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Getting started

I read about Natalie's book only a week before I bought it and I bought the book only two days before I started the diet. So to say I haven't had much time to prepare might be an understatement, but I did it, and I am proud of myself.
I bought the book Friday and devoured it, staying up until 1 am. I haven't done that in over a year.
Then I woke up early Saturday and went to the farmers market with my friend Michelle.
I probably spent about $40 there.
I came home with:
Roma tomatoes
Cherry tomatoes
Fresh Garlic (who knew it wasn't all dried?)
Fuji apples
peaches(cute tiny ones that were surprisingly ripe for May)
Kale
Cilantro
lemons
Romaine lettuce
Carrots
Beets
Cherries
Strawberries
Raw honey
basil infused cold pressed olive oil
Goat cheese
I'm sure there is more but I can't remember it off the top of my head.
So that was a lot for the money I paid. I was happy.

Then I went to Trader Joe's. Chad came too to entertain Afton. I also don't think he expected me to take so long...woops. But gees it takes a long time to find Miso, raw cookies, and sesame oil when you don't know where to look.
I came away from Trader Joe's with:
Sprouted Grain Bagels, Tortillas and Bread
Organic fruits and tomatoes such as watermelon, pears, Grapefruit, Bananas, zucchini, arugula, corn, eggplant, bell peppers, carrots, celery, mushrooms, broccoli, onions, avocados etc.
Basil plant
Ginger and Garlic
Sun-dried tomatoes and freeze dried blueberries
Whole wheat pasta and Quinoa
Frozen wild salmon
70% dark chocolate bars
Lara Bars
Organic Heavy cream
Pure Maple Syrup

Then later I took a trip to Raley's because I knew they had something I was looking for and ended up picking up:
Organic butter
Guiltless pleasure corn tortilla chips
Ak-Mak crackers
Seeds of Time pasta sauce
More Lara Bars

Add that to the...
Almonds
Walnuts
Sunflower seeds
Apple Cider Vinegar
Raw soy sauce
Organic Eggs
Frozen Fruit
Agave Nectar
that we already had and the....

Dates
Jicama
Green Beans
Pineapple
Port (yes i plan to cook with wine)
Asparagus
Sweet Potatoes
....that my mom picked up at Winco,
and you have way too much food.

But to be quite honest it's only Wednesday and we have already eaten a little of everything. Most of the produce has been consumed although there is some left that is still looking pretty good.

So dang, why go through all this trouble?
1) I want to feel and look better. In that order.
2) I need and want to learn how to cook all kind of food, especially fresh vegetables.
3) I had to start somewhere and decided it would be best to buy a little of everything and decide what I like best, what is too expensive, what is not worth the money and what I will eat all the time.

After only four days I can say honestly it was worth it. I won't be spending as much money on food next week, but now I know what I need and what I don't. (And a BIG thanks to my mom for supplying money for the said food above. My budget alone would not have been able to handle that. My mom is also "eating raw" with me.)

Overall this first week is going great and I now know that raw soy sauce(amino acids), dates and white miso all contribute to make a dang good "raw" caesar dressing.
I also know that I love fruits and vegtables and just need to get a little more comfortable with them.
Lastly I have learned that this is definitely the lifestyle for me and there will be no going back to Mac n' cheese and pizza all the time for me.
I plan to be healthy and stay healthy!

And as a side note, I am confident enough with myself to post my starting weight. So I will be posting my weight on each post as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment