Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Sunday

Today was Easter.

But no Easter baskets, fake green grass or dyed eggs were found in our apartment this morning. That's not to say that we haven't done those things in the past and won't do them again in the future.
I think once we have children of our own the Easter bunny will be a more important member of our household on Easter Sunday.
But for today he wasn't.
What we did do was sleep in and fix breakfast together. Eggs, bacon (that Chad thought tasted funny so we gave a piece or two to Oliver), strawberries and burnt toast (woops).
Then we turned on the first session of Conference and listened to the leaders of our church talk about THE LEADER of our church: Christ.
I always look foreward to General Conference, but especially the early spring session. I think the talks on Christ resonate a little more with me during this session because I know this was the mornnig of his glorious resurrection.
I think we, as in we LDS members, hear others tell us quite often that we aren't Christians, that we don't act like the "normal" Christians, that we don't believe in Christ. All I have to say to that is sit in for two hours during one session of General Conference and it will be pretty hard to say that we aren't Christians.
I would dare say that EVERY talk given today had some mention of Christ, while a majority of them are specifically about Christ.
And while I treasure every talk given (ok I fell asleep during a few, i won't lie), I appreciated President Monson's talk during the morning session today the most. He simply but lovingly talked about Christ. He retold a story we have heard so many times: Christ's life.
He told of Christ's baptism by John the Baptist in the River Jordan.
And how he called the twelve apostles.
President Monson told of how he blessed the sick,
caused the lame to walk,
the blnd to see,
the deaf to hear,
and even how he raised the dead to life.
President Monson reminded us that Christ taught
and testified
and he provided a perfect example for us to follow.
And then, and then President Monson told us that the mortal mission of the Savior of the world drew to it's close.
Ahead lay Gethsemane and Calvary's cross.
But then, then, Christ was resurrected.
He fought death and lived again.
President Monson told us that "The darkness of death can always be dispelled by the light of revealed truth."
And Christ told us "I am the resurrection and the light."
Christ teaches us how to dispell the darkness of death.
He has taught us that we all must die but that we all will be able to rise again.
So we didn't dye eggs and we didn't even leave our house today.
Instead, we celebrated Christ and his resurrection.
Because isn't that really what Easter's about?
Christ is my Savior and my king.
He is my elder brother who loves me.
He is the perfect example I look to every day.
He is the one that I try to be like.
I fall short, every day and every minute.
But then I am reminded by my church leaders that it's ok.
I am not perfect and I am not expected to be.
But I am expected to try to live like Christ did so that someday I can be like him.
So that someday after I die I can be resurrected and live with Him.

Today was a perfect Easter.
I was with the man I love and I was celebrating Christ.
We treated this sabbath with extra care because it is an important Sunday.
It's the day that Christ left the tomb and showed us what we have to look foreward to someday.
Life after death, resurrection.

3 comments:

  1. Very beautifully written Claire. It was a special General Conference, and I feel the same way. Love to all Shari

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am inspired by your testimony of Christ, Clair. Keep sharing it. I love you. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post! I am glad you had such a peaceful Easter as it should be! I have a hard time not doing it on Easter because of both sides of the family.

    ReplyDelete