Wednesday, April 14, 2010

New

New is always fun right? I am by no means a shopaholic but I do like to shop. I do like the feeling of a bag in your arm on the way into your home. I love the excitement of pulling your new finds out of the plastic and then making plans on how to use your new additions.

Well, my friends, if shopping makes me happy, shopping for books puts me over the moon.

I needed to pick up a small book from Barnes and Nobles, (the red one pictured below) and ended up leaving with 6 new books instead of 1.
I don't think it is humanly possible for me to go to a bookstore and just buy one book. Just like it isn't possible for me to get a mini yogurt. It just isn't enough. I must have 6 books and I must have a medium yogurt (not to be finished in one sitting of course.)

Maybe I'm a nut (I am a nut) but just looking at those books makes me excited to start reading them. There are so many new stories and characters to get to know. Knowing I am the first one to read that particular copy makes me happy to. I am not really a library kind of gal. I like owning it, knowing I can go back later and read it again if I please.

I still haven't finished "Wuthering Heights" (pictured 2nd from top) but I will this week. That's my goal. It's not that the book is boring, cause it's not. It's just not an EASY read by any means. It's one of those books that sometimes I can't figure out whose talking and so I will spend 5 minutes on one page until I really understand. But the book ia great. It's different than i expected, but aren't all books like that? Mostly I just think how did this woman write this? How did she know how to make it a good book? Did she know that 200 years later we would still be reading it and thinking, "wow, this is a good book"? Probably not.

I have managed to fit the small red book into my reading schedule as well. I am starting another "new" thing in my life. And I hesitate to write about this new thing at all until it's not so new and I am more comfortable with it. But I will anyways. I am starting a new plan to get myself on track, healthwise that is. I have been sudying the HCG diet. And I really HATE to call it a diet because that word has a bad stigma attached to it. But it's what it is. Again, I'm not going into details yet, but I will let you know how it's going in a few weeks. Let's just say I am really excited about this opportunity and I think it is really going to change a lot in my life. (hoping at least, but let's think positive thoughts)

I also started Harry Potter a while ago and got into Chapter 2. That's where I've been for a while. I will tackle that series soon...sometime soon...Coma is a book my mom recommended. I bought it for her to pass her post-surgery recovery days. So that's on the list for sometime in the future.
Fablehaven is a series I have had multiple people recommend. I did feel a little silly when I asked the Barnes and Nobles employ where I could find that series and she firected me to the kids section. Literally. It was embarassing. But my view on reading is who cares what "age" group its for. Harry Potter was meant for Middle Schools kids and adults everywhere fell in love. So why not read a book that was written for age 10-14. Who cares? After "Wuthering Heights" I am definitely going to need an easy read.
With that said, FableHaven, Ender's Game and Graceling are all on my soon to read list. They are fanatasy type easy read books.

And while I was at Barnes I couldn't help but pick up a few more classics. Their hard bound classics are only 8 bucks! So I chose a few off my reading list: The Count of Monte Cristo(James Caviezel anyone? Love him in the movie.) and The Picture of Dorian Gray (The league of Extrodinary Gentleman anyone?).
And lastly, my wonderful mom picked up that last book, Growing Vegtables, for me a few weeks ago. It's wonderful! And what a nice segway into my next "new" topic.


MY VEGTABLES!
(These are the peas. They have grown the most and the fastest.)
ARE GROWING!
(These are the watermelon. Coming in @ #2 for fastest and most grown.)
FAST!
Don't those wonderful little green sprouts of life make you happy? No? Well they're not yours, they're mine. So they make ME happy. I was suprised at how fast they shot up. Soon enough and we will be harvesting! Can't wait!


And last but not least. Ladies and gentlemen, please help me give a round of applause and warm welcome to Mr. Anemone.
He joined the fishtank in April of 2010 and has been loving his stay there.
He is huge! The biggest one we've owned and was a smal price ($30) for his size.
Also welcome Mrs. Red. She and Mr. Anemone are currently a couple and love to spend their time with each other. Red feeds Anemone and also likes to rub her fishy fins against his long tenacles (too much?).
Anemone offers protectoin to Red from the other wildlife in the tank.
And as you can see, there is quite the population of fish now. We currently have 8 residence and hope to add more in the near future.
And we can't forget to welcome Mr. Arc eye and Mrs. Hammerhead. The former is from the hawkfish family and enjoys perching on rock (thus the hawk part of the name) like a bird. The latter is the purply-green hard coral in the bottom of the picture.
Okay, WOW. That turned into a way longer post than I imagined. I won't feel offended if you skipped over most of it and are now just reading the last sentence. Really I won't.
"New" things in life are great. Exciting. Enjoyable. Especially Books, Plants and Aquarium friends.

But do you know whats even better than new things?
Old ones...(This is what love looks like. That will never get old.)

5 comments:

  1. Reading is so much fun! Reading your blog about books has inspired me to buy more new books. I am a FANATIC of books as well and I'd have to agree with you on the walking out with 6 books instead of 1.

    Congrats on the Garden! It looks great! I hope you enjoy the deliciousness of the fruits and veggies.

    The aquarium is looking gorgeous! Is it all salt water? I probably missed that part from past posts. =P

    Cute picture at the end of the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your fish tank is awesome! and i'm so happy for your little garden. also i'm jealous of all your books. i felt like the first harry potter was hard to get into, but once you get past the first one they draw you in more and more. at least that was my experience. also i'm so excited that you got the count of monte cristo! love love LOVE that book. you probably know that already from my blog. :) but seriously. the movie is good... but i feel like the only thing that is the same as it is in the book is the basic premise. all the details in the book are different... and SO SO much better! anyways... enjoy all your reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you treated yourself to some books!

    Love that your garden is growing!

    Love the fish! Your tank looks like "Finding Nemo."

    Good luck on your fitness plan!

    Just to let you know, I read through the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fablehaven IS a good series!! I need to read the most recent one (that came out last year I think). Can't wait until I'm free from school and we can hang out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a good writer. I love reading about your life. And you're right about love. You've got quite a guy there!

    ReplyDelete