Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Digging in the Dirt

So I naivly expected to finish our garden project in one day, the day we started, which was Saturday.
I was wrong.
Turns out it's A LOT of work.
And a lot of time, money and sweat is involved in creating a garden.
So we started Saturday, did a little more Monday night and FINALLY finished last night!

Our boxes turned out really good. Then we just had to fill them with dirt. We used a mix of existing dirt from my mom's back yard, manure we bought and potting soil we bought.
I managed to snap a few pictures of the strawberries (below) which I planted on Saturday.

And the Watermelon mounds.

Here is a close up of the finished boxes. I am just so excited with how they turned out.
And doesn't that dirt look so pretty?
Yeah...I get excited about fresh dirt. There really is something wonderful about planting.
Getting your fingers in the dirt and feeling it between your toes.
I'm pretty sure I found another lifelong hobby.

Again, we had a few helpers. Tracy was very helpful in filling the boxes. He probably did most of that himself. Thanks!

Also Ariana and Oliver helped...well maybe they didn't really help us. But Ariana helped keep Oliver entertained and Oliver helped keep Ariana entertained.

Oliver also helped dig the dirt. Except he mostly just dug a big hole. Then we would refill it and he would dig it again. He also would jump up in the boxed once and a while and try to dig there.

Then someone would scoop him up and return him to digging his big hole.

We also bought a few pre-made smaller planter boxed to put some flowers in. I really wanted to plant some flowers and keep them on our balcony. We bough Gerber Daisey's (my favorite!), Snap Dragons and Pansy's. And we purchased 3 different colored cactuses for fun.


All in all, this gardenign experience was really good. I wasn't able to take pictures of the boxes all planted because we literally worked until dark. But I will snap a few later this week and post them.
And don't worry I will be posting about my garden A LOT this summer. So much you will probably be sick of it. I just can't help it, I'm so excited.
So here's to a great summer full of delicious fruits and veggies!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that pink cactus! I've never seen one like that before. I love your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I re-lived everything as I read! Flowers are so pretty, everyone needs flowers and the veggies are good too. Wait until everything is fully grown, that's when the fun starts! Love you, my farming daughter.

    ReplyDelete