Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Corn beef, cabbage and hunger games

Can you tell what's on my mind this wonderful hump day? (FYI: hump day=wednesday. Get your minds out of the gutter people) So...back to the post.
FOOD!
Food is on my mind today. Not because I have been extra hungry or because I am cooking or even eating more...just because I have been thinking about food in general.
Here is what I think:


1) Corn beef & cabbage is disgusting. (looks gross too) I could probably stop there but I won't. It's St. Patty's day...and I am sure you would know this unless you live under a rock (to be completely honest, I wasn't aware it was today until yesterday). So in the spirit of the holiday, (a holiday which by the way really has nothing to do with our country or culture, but for some reason we celebrate it anyways??) our manager Shari decides she wants to order us corn beef and cabbage from a local restaurant. I had never had it before so I said, 'what the heck? I'll try it!'
Wish I hadn't.
It was gross.
Really gross.
I would rather eat Chinese food...or dog food. And if you know me I hold those two food groups to the same standard, so that's saying something. (The only Chinese food I like is from Paper Moon here in Modesto. The cream chesse wontons are to die for.)
I will never understand in my entire life why anyone in their right mind...even in your wrong mind...would voluntarily...or even unvoluntarily...eat corn beef and cabbage.
To make it worse, they also included a serving of horse radish to finish the ensamble.
YUM!
So the only way I ended up celebrating St. Patty's day was to accidentally wear green. I really didn't mean to I just did.
So good news is even though i had to force down a few bites of the corn beef and cabbage no one could pinch me.
What it comes down to is that I think holiday's like this are useless.
If it has nothing to do with my country and it doesn't give me a day off, I don't consider it a holiday. Sue me.


Back to food...


2) The Hunger Games. I have heard this name a lot over the past few months. Many people have said how much they love it and the title itself is enough to intrigue me. It's been a month or so since I had my last fix of a really can't-put-it-down-good-book, so it was time for another. So today I decided to look into this series called the Hunger Games.
I went online and perused Amazon and ebay. I found a rather lengthy portion of the book online to read, so I decided to see if there was something to this series after all. I read the first 70 pages and I'm hooked.
I made a Target run last night and picked up the first two books in the series. I am about 200 pages into the first one and it's amazing.
I would say that from what I have read so far, by far one of the best books I have ever read.
It would be hard to go into detail about the books, so i just suggest you go out and get a copy yourself. I promise you will be happy you did.


3) Frozen Yogurt...
When it comes to frozen yogurt my heart has always belonged to the Yogurt Mill. I worked there and it was really the best job...I met so many wonderful people and I made a lot of good friends there.
It was a laid back atmosphere and was always fun.
This is just an example of the fun times: There was a closet where we kept all of our purses, etc during our shifts. Well everyone's favorite lead (manager) Kyle would get in the closet when he knew someone was going to show up for a shift. That person would wander back to the closet to drop off their belongings and Kyle would jump out and scare them. I think a few people would get so scared they came close to peeing their pants. Meanwhile everyone else would be laughing their heads off.
Ok...so maybe we goofed off a lot and gave out a lot of free yogurt...ok maybe we were really bad employees, but the owners were kinda jerks so they deserved it.
But really it was great.
Plus, the yogurt is to die for.
I have been hooked since I worked there.
Another readson I love that place is because it is the first place I met Chad. A mutual friend of ours (who I happened to be dating at the time haha) came by to see me and brought Chad. We didn't meet up again for another year but that was the first time I met him.
So...this brings me to say...that I cheated on the yogurt mill. I recently visited LA Cultures (another frozen yogurt store) with two other couples. They wanted to go and who was I to refuse?
So even though it was hard, I did it. And it wasn't so bad...maybe even good. But that doesn't matter because I will always be in love with the Mill.


Elizabeth, Kelly and I @ LA Cultures. (I should probably burn this picture so there is no evidence of the affair. Hopefully the Mill won't read this post.)



In all seriousness though LA Cultures is really good...so you can try it if you would like. But also try the Yogurt Mill if you haven't. The cheescake flavor is to die for. And it's 99% fat free. Bonus!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are reading Hunger Games! I loved both the first and second. Isn't it nice to have a leading lady that's not a completely helpless, melodramatic, martyr weakling like freaking Bella? :) haha, jk I know you love Twilight. but seriously, Bella might be the most embarrassing female character ever written. the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should read my friends blog. She did a post about St. Patrick's day and it is really good. It made me look at the holiday different. It helped me realize that it had something to do with God and a young boy named Patrick. You should read it. Her blog is on my side bar entitled Everything Me. I think you would enjoy the post.

    Glad you found a good book to read!! That is always fun when you find a good one. It is rare for me because I am not a big reader. Maybe I will have to try it some time.

    You are so funny with the cheating thing. Who said you where married to the Mill!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! What do you mean you did not get hooked on Yogurt Mill til you worked there? Don't you remember eating frozen yogurt there since you were in kindergarden? I have many memories of Mom or Terry bringing home frozen yogurt when you and cody were still tiny little rascals. And i heard about L.A culters, wish I could try it. Yogurt Mill really is the best though... Now I really want some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all - of course corned beef and cabbage was gross from a cheap restaurant! we had it in one of our history classes and it was homemade and really good! - and I don't like cabbage at all, but it had a wonderful flavor. Don't write it off forever ..

    Speaking of writing off things ... I think I may have to write off YOU for hating chinese food! lol

    And you made me laugh how many times you said, "to die for" :) and what's funny is that I feel the opposite -- when I go to yogurt mill I feel like I'm cheating on la cultures ... but it's ok, I went to YM today. So we all cheat on our favorite yogurts occasionally. (another good, even CHEAPER place is Bali's in San Luis Obispo - 29cents an ounce!)

    ReplyDelete