Monday, June 1, 2009

Pottery updates

So this summer semester I enrolled for my first wheelthrown pottery class. For the last two semesters I have been taking hand building pottery. They are vastly different but I love them both! I am better at hand building because I have had more experience but I am really starting to love wheel thrown. It is so amazing to start out with a ball of clay on a wheel and create a pot.

This is one of the first pots I did that doesn't look like total crap. lol only a little. But I am pretty proud either way. This was just practice though I didn't keep it.


I am just starting to get to the point that I can create a decent looking pot in one try. It took along time to get to that point. I am also going in on my own time to work on some handbuilt pots too. I have started about three pots and have also pressed some more tiles that I did last semester. Here is one that my teacher told me is pretty close to an "A." It looks wobbely in the picture but that is just because it is cut in half. We cut them in half at first to see how thick the bottom and walls are. Also to make sure the walls are an even thickness from top to bottom.



And here is one of the larger handbuilt pots I am working on. I promised my sister I would work on a bigger form for her. This might be it I am not sure yet. I am a little stuck on where to go from here so I am going to get my teacher's advice. I like it so far though.

I am going to detail another pot from beginning to end. Meaning I want to take pictures throught the whole process so you can see just how cool it is to start out with a bag of clay and get something awesome like this:

This was the last piece to get finished from last semester so I didn't get until just a couple weeks ago. It is a sager fired piece and it turned out so good! I absolutely love it. I am going to try and replicate another just like it. Anyways thanks for reading! I am still a beginner at pottery but it will definitely be one of my hobbies for a long time.

P.S. Oh and this isn't a pot I made (though I wish it was). I am posting this for my sister. This is called a multicolor glaze and it is so awesome. I was telling her about it but hadn't showed a picture. Let me know what you think Nichole. I could do your pot in this glaze if you want me to.


3 comments:

  1. Awesome job on the wheel! I miss pottery. I loved the wheel. It was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the multi glaze!! Yeah do that for mine! And I do like the pot a lot, you are so great at it! I was sort of thinking my pot would be a little taller and get skinnier towards top. Is that still possible for the one you are working on? If not I still love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have quite a talent....pottery is something I have never tried. Looks like your having fun.
    linda

    ReplyDelete