Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Kidney Stones?

So early Tuesday morning at about 4:45 am Chad woke me up. He had already been up for about 45 min with excruciating pain in his back and stomach. So finally he woke me up when it got really really bad. We both immediately thought of kidney stones. Ironically Chad had been learning about them in his EMT class not too long ago and also Chad's cousin christen had told us a story about when he had kidney stones a couple weeks ago. So we rushed to the car and I drove Chad to the ER. They admitted him very quickly and gave him morphine for the pain. This was about all they can do for kidney stones. They did also take him for a cat scan to verify it actually was kidney stones...it was. He had one small stone. So they ended up giving him about 3 doses of morphine before it helped. Then about 3 hours late, a little before 8, they told us that we could go home and just ride it out. They told us to give him some pain medication they gave us and if it got really bad again to come back in. Well, before we left Chad said he had to go the bathroom. And sure enough, he passed the stone right before we left the hospital.

I managed to get a picture of Chad before we left....even though he didn't really want to. I wanted to have documentation! He let me...what a good husband.


He's pretty out of it here. And the next pictures are of the tiny stone that causes so much pain! It really is pretty weird. They say kidney stones can be comparable to child birth. Chad was definitely in pain to say the least. Here is the little devil.

So Chad is feeling better now, still very sore, but better. We are just so glad that he had only one and that he passed it quickly. They told us it could take weeks so Chad got very lucky.

6 comments:

  1. OH HOW SAD! BUT AT LEAST HE WILL APPRECIATE YOU MORE WHEN YOU HAVE HIS BABIES, BECAUSE HE WILL UNDERSTAND. (IM TOO LAZY TO TAKE OFF THE CAPS LOCK BUTTON)HOPE HE FEELS BETTER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry Chad and I am so sorry for you Clair to have to see him pass that. I had to watch Kurt pass one back in August but his took a week. It was not fun. I am glad chad is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah - how ridiculously ironic!!! I'm glad that it was quick and that everything turned out just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How miserable...glad he's feeling better though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad! but lucky that it passed so quickly, my dad had one that took like two days or something. how are you guys? i totally failed on the dinner thing. i'm SO sorry. i'm thinking maybe a thursday night...? are thursdays good for you guys?

    ReplyDelete
  6. How ironic that Christian and I were just telling you about his kidney stone experience. I remember you saying, "I never want to go throught that." Well, we are very sorry and glad that verything went well. BTW, Christian's stone is in the same kind of cup and he has a really bad name for it. His was 3mm big.

    ReplyDelete