Wednesday, February 25, 2009

People from the past...

So this post might be a little weird to some people, but I think its awesome! It is random, I will admit that. So I have a Saturday class once a month and i get a pretty long lunch. So Chad and I finished lunch early the first time and didn't know what to do to kill time. So we just kind of drove around in the avenues.

Then Chad remembered that there was a really cool cemetery up there so we decided to take a look at it. It was so cool we went back a second time last Saturday and this is what we found.


I think the inscription on this one is very inspiring.


I copied this straight form wikipedia.... so hopefully its acurate!
Here is George Albert Smith's actual solitary headstone.





So I was really excited to see this one.... I thought it was Parley P. Pratt at first, but it turned out to be his brother Orson. I looked up where Parley died and here is what i found...












David Oman McKay (September 8, 1873January 18, 1970) was the ninth president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church), serving from 1951 until his death. Ordained an apostle and member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in 1906, McKay was a general authority for nearly sixty-four years, longer than anyone else in LDS Church history.





And last but not least...




There was so much history in this cemetery it amazes me!! And I am sure we didn't even get to all the apostles and prophets buried there yet. Stay tuned for a second installment of whose buried in the Avenues cemetery!

3 comments:

  1. I wanted to do this for a YW activity. I would love to go there and see all those graves. I have been to that cemetary many times but have not gone sense my converson. Now I would love to see those grave because I know who they are.

    I heard on the news that they are planning on bringing Parley's remains here to Salt Lake because that was his request to be barried here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize that all of those people were buried in that cemetery! My great-great-grandmother is, too...just by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey- Did you know that your Great Grandpa McDowell is buried in that Cemetery. I went to the grave dedication. My Uncle CHuck played the 'Scottish rites' on his bagpipes. What a beautiful experience it was.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete