Sunday, April 3, 2011

This is what I know

I have so much to blog about...okay, I have so many blog posts to do about Afton...but I need to do something else first.
I need to tell you what I know...
This is my favorite time of year, late March/early April. For many reasons. Spring is usually here in California (sorry to my Utah family who cannot say the same. Wish you were here enjoying our weather instead of snow) and it's beautiful. Green, sun, warm. Gardens are being planted and everyone is venturing outside to take walks and fly kites and throw frisbees. Oliver is always happier when he can lay outside in the sun and get his tan on.
And then there is Easter, the most wonderful holiday. Who doesn't love a holiday to celebrate Christ and his resurrection? There really isn't a more beautiful thing. And the dyed and eggs and candy aren't bad either.
And then there is General Conference. Two days where we can gather with our families, friends and church congregations to listen to our prophet and apostles and get instruction on how to live our lives a little better and be a little happier. I always feel a sense of pride to know that there are millions of people around the world doing the same thing at the same time: listening to wonderful men and women share their inspiration from Heavenly Father.
As I sat on the couch in my in-laws living room today during the Sunday morning session I realized how blessed I am. I looked over at my husband watching the T.V. as well and then at my daughter sitting in her aunts lap smiling and cooing. Then I saw the trees outside and the beautiful sunny day and I got emotional. Call it postpartum hormones (does that count after 4 months?) or just me being emotional, but either way I was crying tears of happiness, be it only a few.
I am lucky. I live in America. I am free to worship how I please and I do that by being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I chose to follow my Savior Jesus Christ and my loving Heavenly Father.
I am not always on the right track and sometimes I have to remind myself who I am and what I stand for but that's OK. It's days like today when I really remember what this life is about. It's days like to day when I am really thankful for such a loving wonderful family. I am blessed with a husband who loves me and tells me so daily. Who tells be I am beautiful even when I don't feel like it. I am also blessed with a wonderful daughter who has already taught me so much in her four months of life. I also have wonderful parents and siblings and was lucky enough to marry into another wonderful family.
So this is what I know...
I have a Heavenly Father who loves me and each one of his children.
Jesus Christ is my savior. He died for me and for you and was resurrected and lives.
Joseph Smith is a prophet who restored Christ's church on the earth today.
The Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ. It tells of his life just like the Bible and can give us daily instruction.
I will be with my family forever because of the ordinances of the temple.
That is what I know and know you know.

I hope you had a wonderful general conference weekend and think about what you know...

And please check this out. It's where I got the idea for the title of my post. It is beautiful and simple and will make you smile or cry, whichever you prefer :-)

P.S. This is what Afton did during her first conference...The Prophets voices do have a certain lull to them. Can't say I blame her. Let's be honest, who hasn't fallen asleep during a few conference talks in their time.

No comments:

Post a Comment