Thursday, October 29, 2009

Thankful for Prophets


I know it's not thanksgiving yet and this post might be a little premature when you read the title, but it was actually spurred by something other than the fall season and turkeys. I was browsing on Facebook today and happened to be looking at a page of one of my friend's from BYU (cough Katie Jordan cough). Side note: Thanks Katie for having this quote on your page because it brightened my day when I really needed it. Hopefully she reads this.

Anyways...this is why I am thankful for prophets in this day and age:


"Anyone who images that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around, shouting that he has been robbed. The fact is that most putts don't drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to be just like people, most successful marriages require a high degree of toleratoin, amd most jobs are more often dull than otherwise.

Life is just like an old time rail journey...delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders and jolts, interspersed only occasionaly by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride."

-Gordon B. Hinckley


I don't think I need to say a lot after this. I really needed to hear this today. I am aware that bliss is not normal, but sometimes I think my lot is hard when it really isn't. I think about regrets I have and how I wish certain things were different but this helped remind me that life is hard for a reason. We have trials to make us stronger and we are supposed to thank our Heavenly Father for our trials instead of complaining to him that we have a hard life.

The parts about marriage and work really is what helped me. Sometimes I am not very patient with my spouse and I always regret it later. It's nice to know that even President Hinckley admits marriage is hard and that we continually have to strive to be tolerant and patient even when we are in a bad mood. And work...sometimes I want to rip my hair out and scream because I am so bored or because a co-worker is in a bad mood and taking it out on me. But even if work is dull and the atmosphere is not ideal we just have to make the best of it.

Isn't it awesome that we have prophets to lead and guide us? My day and my mood probably would have kept getting worse if I hadn't read this. I am grateful for President Hinckley and all the great things he did in this world and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am also grateful for our current Prophet, President Monson. These men are truly inspired and the words they write and say are meant to help us on gloomy days and give us hope for a better tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. yay! i'm glad the quote brightened your day. :) there are some days when i have to read it multiple times. haha. sometimes it's the hardest thing to thank the lord for the "ride", but i think that no matter how bad things get, there can always be something to thank him for, even if it's just that you could get out of bed and take a shower. i think that really is the trick to enjoying life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post really touched my heart! Thank you for sharing.

    I want to post this on my blog sometime in November and link it to your blog. Let me know if that is okay. Thanks for your testimony.

    I too, am grateful for prophets. I miss Pres. Hinckley. He was my first prophet I came to know. I do love Pres. Monson and I love him just as much as Pres. Hinckley. They are truly men of God!

    ReplyDelete