Saturday, February 13, 2010

Valentines Day - 1 = Saturday

We celebrated our Valentines day early because tomorrow is Sunday. It was a wonderful Saturday! We went to the temple this morning and it was wonderful as usual. It always seems that there are a million reasons not to go but we finally just decided to go and we were sure glad we did. There was a beautiful spirit in the temple and we both felt refreshed and clean again. I think it also helped us to get in the "love" mood, you know, for V-day. The temple is always the best place to remember why we got married, why we love each other and why we want to spend eternity with each other. So that was a good start to a great day.
We drove home and changed and went to Apple bee's. That was the low of the day. The food was not that great for it's price which is always disappointing. Then we went to see Dear John. Here are my thoughts:
I heard that a lot of people didn't like the ending and I can see why most wouldn't. It wasn't a fuzzy-warm-feeling kind of ending. It was a real life kind of ending. When we go to a movie we want to watch something that usually doesn't happen in real life. Most chick flicks fall into this category. And so I can see why the "real life" ending night have thrown people. But I liked it. I liked that you have to imagine for yourself what happened. I also liked that at least they were happy. Isn't that real life? We don't always have the fairy tale ending and we have to figure a lot of stuff out, but at least we're happy right?
I also really liked the smaller messages. Autism. War. Marriage. Right and wrong. Love (okay maybe not a small message but an important one). I enjoyed the subtle message of autism. The father and son relationship was so sweet. I almost enjoyed that relationship more than the main love story.
And I was happy that they weren't trying to use this movie as a political statement or a pro-war or anti-war agenda. It had war written into most of it but more than anything it showed how much the soldiers give up rather than if they should be there or not. I don't know the correct answer to that and I am glad the writers and producers of this movie didn't try to answer it for me.
And marriage. This subject always seems to be treated with such low priority. It would have been easy to work adultery into this movie also but they didn't which I was pleasantly surprised by. Instead they treated marriage with the importance it should be. They honored it. They picked the right over the wrong for once. Yes! Finally!
And last but not least I liked the first two weeks of their relationship. I like that finally it is OK to fall in love in a short amount of time. Two weeks is all it took for them to fall in love.
That's how it was with Chad and I. It was more like two months but still short. Sometimes you just know. We did. Savannah and John did. So maybe we won't get as many surprised looks when we tell people that we met and got engaged and married in a matter of four months. No, we will probably get the same amount. But we expect it and it doesn't bother us anymore. On another note...
I wore my brown snake skin high heels tonight. Chad pointed out that they're his favorite. Why? Flashback to May 2007. I was in the lobby of the Fine road chapel where the Modesto singles ward met. I was dressed in a brown and white polka dot dress and wearing my brown snake skin high heals. I was chatting with a friend when Adam and I guy that looked vaguely familiar walked up to us. We all talked for a minute and I knew the vaguely familiar guy was interested in me because he was definitely trying to monopolize my attention. We went to Sunday school and there he was a few minutes later sitting next to me. He looked down at my snake skin shoes and said he liked them.
I smiled at him and the rest as they say is history.
So almost three years later I wore those same shoes again on a Valentine's date with my husband who told me three years ago that he liked them. That's why their his favorite and that's why he is my favorite.
Because to this day he still remembers what shoes I was wearing when we met. And he takes me to the temple. And he watches a romantic movie with me on Valentines Day even though it probably isn't his first pick. And he loves me. Most of all that's why he's my favorite man on this earth. Because he loves me and helps remind me why love is so important. So while Valentines day may be mostly a holiday created to sell flowers and cards and candy, it's also a holiday to celebrate love. So to me it's a good holiday.
Happy Valentines Day!

2 comments:

  1. Chad is a great guy! I am glad you guys went to the temple and had such a great Saturday celebrating Valentine's Day. I love that Chad remembers the shoes you were wearing the day you met, how sweet!

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete