Thursday, July 9, 2009

Music of my past....

Prior to getting married I was pretty much obsessed with music. It was a huge part of my life and took up a lot of my spare time. This was partly just to being born with a musci gene I think (one for liking music not being good at playing an instument or singing it- I wish). But mostly I think my love for music spawned from my family and friends. My parents have always loved music and I grew up listening to everything and anything it seemed. From my dad I inherited a love for oldies and country old-timers. Such as: Sammy Kershaw, Rolling Stones, Van Morrisson, etc. From my mom I inherited a love for all music I guess. My mom loves music as much as I do. Maybe not always the same types, but a lot of the time we share similar tastes. For example: Michael Buble, Il Divo, Enya, etc. My siblings also got a love for music like I did. My sister was always a big influence on me in the music department. If she recommended a band it must be good. (At least that's what I thought-most of the time it was true). She showed me bands like Taking Back Sunday, The Used, and others than I can't think of right now. And lastly, my brother and I probably were the most into music out of our family. We have very much the same music taste maybe minus his like of rap. While I like some songs I am not a fan of most. So anywho through our high school Cody and I love many many bands. Our favorite included: Brand New, Say Anything, Dashboard Confessional, Snow Patrol, Northstar and oh too many more I can't even remember.
Okay so I have rambled a lot. So my point here was once I got married I kind of lost touch with the music world for a while. It had nothing to do with Chad (He loves music too). But I guess I just got busy. I didn't make the time I used to to research new bands and download their songs. I might still pull out one of my old CD's or my IPod once and a while and reminise with my old music but I was nothing like I was before. I just didn't care as much, or have time to care. I noticed a similar trend with my sister when she got married, I dunno anyone else have this happen? So I mostly listened to the radio and once and a while I bought a new CD but my old CD's were mostly pushed into a drawer somewhere. The other day my husband was in a new Cd to listen to kind of mood and pulled out a bunch of my old mix CD's. So i guess this is where this blog/rant came from. I also pulled out some of my old CD's and have been listening to them. I know remember why I liked them so much. I remember which CD's I loved the most and why I could listen to them for days on end on repeat and not get tired of them.

So here are a few recommendations from my library of music if anyone is interested. Don't feel bad if your not, I probably wouldn't be interested in a lot of your music either! (kidding, I really do like most music)
Damien Rice- It is slow Yoga type music. Good for relaxing in the bath. Warning- some songs do contain swearing but most good ones are clean.



Brand New- Definitely punk/yelling music at times. But my brother and I have been hooked from thier first CD. I think what I am most attracted to is their lyrics. They are just awesomly weird lyrics at time and very catchy. My favorite CD of theirs is Deja Entendu. Get it. Listen to it.


Bloc Party- So I am not sure what to label this music as. It is unique. The songs are very catchy and have awesome beats. It is more of a dancing music type CD. Not slow at all. Listen to Banquet. That is one of their more popular songs.


Okay so that enough for now. Maybe when I do some more exploring into my CD's I will post some more recommendations.

3 comments:

  1. Yea, music us really a big part of life. I would be way sad without it. I'm glad you have the music ear too. We watched August Rush-fantastic story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes I remember those days. You would come visit every summer and we would drive around blasting our music. I always think of you when I hear Snow Patrol and Stray Light Run. I am so excited for THe Fray on Sat! Oh and go look and Ryan's blog because he posted a really funny thing about Michale Jackson which I know you will like

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi claire! so i lost your email address--found you in the blogosphere though! could you send me your email address again? just wanted to make sure you guys knew about this bbq in a few weeks. take care! ~becca

    ReplyDelete