Sunday, May 31, 2009

Not a walk in the park

So on the 16th of May, Chad and I decided it would be fun to go up one of the many canyon's in the Salt Lake area and have a picnic. I got really excited fixing all the food and getting everything prepared. Chad got everything else ready and we headed out around noon or so. We went up the canyon...not sure what it is called....where the this is the place monument and park are. We had driven up once before and we figured it would be a good place to picnic.

So we drove....

And we drove...

And we drove some more until we were really far up the canyon and about an hour into our drive.



We had found lots of pretty sights but still not picnic spot. So we turned around and headed back not sure what to do next. Well we finally found a spot on the way back down. We unloaded all of our picnicing gear from the jeep...we seemed to have a lot of it...and hiked a little ways into the forest where we found a really nice secluded spot right by a little stream. It was perfect. We put the ice chest down and were looking for a good spot to put the blanket when Chad notices there are ants crawling all over him. Note: We had been there maybe about 2 minutes standing there so these ants must have been very fast crawlers. So of course I freaked out.
For those of you that don't know... I HATE ants. With a passion. More than spiders or roaches or anything really. I'm not afraid of them I just hate them. I hate the feeling you get when an ant is crawling on you and the fact that even after you flip it off of you it still feels like there are 10 ants there. I hate that you can't just find one ant, you have to find 100! Oh and it seems like they are impossible to kill. Water: nope, doesn't kill them. Vacuum cleaner: No they just crawl back out. Squishing: ok this seems to work but it isn't a very desirable way to kill any bug. I hate ants. I hate them.
Ok so on with the story. When I realize there are ants on Chad I also notice that hey, there are a ton of ants on me too!! Thank goodness they weren't red ants because I would have dropped everything I was carrying and dashed back to the car so fast Chad wouldn't have known where i went. So i pick up the blanket and walk very quickly back to the car. Poor Chad had to carry the ice chest back to the car again! Turns out there were ants everywhere in the little clearing we picked out. Everywhere! I have never seen so many ants in my life. So we get back in the Jeep and are both very annoyed at this point. We scouted a couple other locations, all of which you had to pay and finally drove back to a park that is 10 minutes from our house. Ironic, I know. We were tired, hot, annoyed and hungry and ended up picinicing 10 minutes from our house after trying for hours to find a good picnic spot.





So moral of the story...don't go on a picnic unless you know exactly where you want to picnic! Chad and I learned our lesson and we also learned that Sugarouse Park is just a nice of a picnic spot as going up a canyon that will take you much much longer and much more gas. We still like picnicing but will probably give a rest for a while.

1 comment:

  1. What a cute idea!

    That sucks about the ants. I hate roaches. They are on of my fears and like ants there is never just one.

    I am glad you got to have your picnic though!

    ReplyDelete