Thursday, April 16, 2009

The finished products...

So I just love showing everyone who reads our blog my current pottery projects. My classes started out as just a class to fulfill a requirement but it has turned into a really great hobby that I hope to continue after I am done with school. Here are about half of the finished pieces. I will post the rest in a couple weeks.

Some of the pictures are a little bad. It was hard to get good pics of some of them. This one was smoked in a trash can after it came out of the kiln. This is what gives it the black color. The lighter part was done by painting a white slip on the pot before it went into the kiln to be fired. This one went to my mom as a gift.

Another view...

This is another smoked pot and it has carvings on the top.

This is one of my larger pieces. I really liked how it turned out. It is a little uneven on the sides but that is one of the qualities you get from handmade opposed to a wheel thrown pot. This piece has a crackle glaze on it. You dip it in the glaze before it goes in the kiln. Then when you take it out of the kiln you smoke it in a garbage can again. (You do this by putting shredded newspaper in the garbage and then put the pot directly in the garbage can when it comes out of the can. The process causes the glaze to crack. Then smoke from the garbage can fills in the cracks and they turn black. I really love this glaze.

A close up of the crackle glaze.

This one was taken out of the kiln and then a feather was pressed on with special pads and the feather was actually burned onto the pot. I gave this one to my little sister Ariana as a gift.

This one has horse hair and sugar on it. You also take this one out of the kiln and lay horse hair on it. The hair burns onto the pot and makes this neat pattern. The little black dots are sugar being thrown onto the pot. This one went to my older sister Nichole as a gift.

Another view...


Another horse hair. I love the red color with the horse hair.

5 comments:

  1. You are so talented! I love the one I picked out from your collection! Its on my bookshelf until I get a plant or flowers to put in it and I will show it off downstairs somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! i love the crackle pot...its awesome. if i need to be cremated one day you can make my urn:) that sounded creepy hu?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all turned out so beautiful! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. those are awesome! you should make one for me... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are RAD! When is the last time you every heard anyone use that word? I'm bringing it back. Seriously, I'm way impressed. That's awesome.

    PS I'm sorry you were sick!

    ReplyDelete