Thursday, November 13, 2014

Hayden turned one

Hayden's first birthday came and went at an alarming rate. Where did my newborn baby go? Who is this little baby turning into a toddler?

 
Hayden has always been a good baby. He was so much easier as a newborn than Afton. He got the hang of nursing so fast and went to sleep on his own better than Afton. We still rocked him to sleep for most naps and bedtime up to this point, but it wouldn't take nearly as long as with Afton and he wouldn't wake up 5 times when you laid him down and tried to go out of the room. For the most part, once he fell asleep and was in his crib you were safe to move around. He is a pretty deep sleeper and takes very good naps. Around 9 months he started taking 2 solid naps a day. He still naps twice a day, and sleeps 6-10 hours straight at night. He still wakes up at night at least a few times a week but I nurse him and he goes right back to sleep. I think he mostly wakes up due to teething. I don't mind nursing him at night. I can go back to sleep so easily that it doesn't bother we waking up anymore. And I know he is not ready to stop nursing yet and our day time nursing is becoming sparse and he isn't as interested so the night time feedings are special and I'm not quite ready to cut them out.

During the day, Hayden is always happy. Unless he is having an especially hard day with teething he is always smiling and jabbering these days. The past two days he is finally starting to take a few steps on his own. The first time he did it, I saw this little light go off in his head and he got so excited. It was one of the first times I got sad because he is so big and growing so fast. I can see the little motors in his head starting to spin faster as he learns and grows. He is doing more activities on his own and is getting more independent. He is starting to respond to me when I ask questions. No real words yet, but I can tell he tries to copy what I am saying sometimes.

Although he is getting bigger and more independent, he still loves to cuddle. When he wakes up from a nap is my favorite time. He is so happy and smiley in his crib when I come in to get him and then he lays his head on my shoulder and holds me for a few minutes. It lingers and I can tell both of us know he is getting older and these moments will start to become more sparse. I think we don't give children nearly enough credit when it comes to what they understand. I know that Hayden senses moods and feelings. He expresses his love to me as easily as I express mine to him.

Hayden may love me but he loves Chad just as much if not more. To say he gets excited when Chad comes home from work is an understatement. He gets a huge grin on his face, makes some kind of loud excited noise and crawls to the door. He also loves playing with Chad. Chad will hide behind the couch and Hayden walks quickly back and forth and peeks around the side. Chad will yell and scare him and Hayden will run back the other way squealing with joy.

His favorite food is still bananas. He would eat a banana for every meal if we let him. He is a really good eater too. He eats almost everything. He just recently started liking meat. Up until a few weeks ago I liked to joke that he was a vegetarian because he turned his nose up at most meats. But he loves anything and everything else. He eats pretty much every cooked veggie but broccoli. He especially loves cucumber and homemade pico de gallo. He usually makes a mess so we have given Afton the special chore of floor cleaner after Hayden's meals. It works beautifully. She feels special and I don't have to bend down on the floor!

Hayden and Afton are loving each other more every day. They are starting to play together more and enjoy it. Afton loves to give Hayden hugs and kisses and hold him every opportunity she gets. Hayden used to love it but now he will let her do it for about 5 seconds before he pushes her away or gets annoyed. But I think it's mostly because he is too busy to sit still that long. Afton loves to go into his room when he wakes up from a nap and climb into his crib. I hear them playing and throwing stuffed animals around. They also love playing with the play kitchen in their room together. We rearranged the room a few weeks ago and put it out again and they are obsessed. Hayden always has a play spoon or fork with him wherever he is these days.

While I think Hayden will be more mild mannered than Afton, a little more reserved probably, he still loves to be around people just like Afton. He is not shy at all and will go to anyone most of the time. He is always good with baby sitters. I'm hoping he won't be a crazy destructive boy, but we shall see.

 
It's definitely hard being a mom to two young ones, but it's so rewarding seeing our family age and grow together. Hayden is such a good baby it makes me want to have 5 more! I just love him and sweet little spirit. I am so incredibly blessed to have been given the privilege by my Heavenly Father to be Hayden's mom. I try hard every day to live up to such a big calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment